Peer to Peer Collaborative Working Environments over Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks
Marco Boero, Softeco Sismat, Nicolas Berthet (THALES Communications, France), and the POPEYE Consortium
Project website: http://www.ist-popeye.eu
POPEYE is a European research project investigating innovative solutions for Peer-to-Peer collaboration over mobile ad-hoc networks (MANETs).
POPEYE is developing a collaborative framework to support:
- Opportunistic ad-hoc networking: meet and join enable creative usage of networked portable devices without the need of supporting infrastructure
- Spontaneous networks: set-up quickly working groups dependable and secure with or without relying on an infrastructure suitable for professional usage
Next generation collaborative systems will offer the mobile user seamless and natural collaboration amongst a diversity of agents within distributed, knowledge-rich and virtualised working environment. However this ambitious goal needs to face numerous challenges from the underlying communication infrastructure through to the high level application services which, depending on the operational need to address, can receive different answers both technological and scientific.
When most of the currently available tools supporting collaboration exploit a rigid client-server architecture and rely on a communication infrastructure like the Internet, POPEYE's ambition is to get collaborative working free from such constraints.
The main objectives of POPEYE include:
- draw out an integrated overlay networking architecture that combines the stability and performance of infrastructure networks (when available) with the flexibility and spontaneous character of mobile ad hoc communications
- develop a communication platform to provide efficient P2P management and communication primitives
- develop higher-level context-aware, secure and personalised core services to facilitate application development by allowing the combination of user preferences with ambience information, such as time, location, user activity, and peers' presence